Announcing the commencement of the Third Annual DD Voice Contest, better known as the 2012 Drunk Duck Radio Play!
There are several great ways to participate -- and we begin with Phase One -–
Script Selection! Yay!
And this year, I am honored to inform you that we have a Panel of Judges -- august-types -- lovely, intelligent WILLING judges to select the Very Best from the very best!
Until the script is selected, the judges have agreed to remain anonymous, and will read the script submissions only after I have removed the title page from the script.
The Czarina declares: Impartiality!
So: The Script. There are only three Musts for the script:
1. must be rated “E”
2. must include no fewer than ten speaking roles
3. must be emailed to me at email@example.com no later than Fri., 24 Feb. as a word doc attachment.
The play should be 15 to 20 minutes long (if the following recommended format is used, one page of dialog equals about one minute of play).
Recommended format (addressing the goal of creating pages that are easy for someone to read from aloud):
* Font: 14.5 Courier New
* A space and a half or double space for copy
* One inch border around the page
* Format bold on words if you want emphasis in the read
* Avoid italics due to legibility
Remember these basic radio journalism style rules:
* Keep it simple
* Write in short, concise sentences
* One idea per sentence
* Two to three sentences per paragraph
Here's a sample script and learn all about one Maxwell McDuff.
And what should you write about?
Anything you want, as long as it's E. But here are some suggestions:
Because the script of the 2011 Radio Play was pretty successful, a few folks have suggested a Maxwell sequel.
What? You didn't read the 2011 play?!? Well, you can read it here as a beautifully illustrated-comic and learn all about one Maxwell McDuff.
Title suggestions for a Maxwell sequel come from bravo1102 -
- "Maxwell McDuff and The Mystery of The Mayan Calendar"
- "Maxwell McDuff and The Case of The Waterfowl Empress"
and from Ally_Haert:
- "Maxwell McDuff in A Murder Most Fowl"
- "Maxwell McDuff in The Early Bird Gets The Gun"
Not a big fan of Max, but still need ideas? Here are some story suggestions:
- What’s a rich genius orphan to do? Not let the authorities know that the parents are gone for starters. The staff will play along; they like being employed - because, you know, work in Transylvania is hard to come by
- Where holograms and portals convene: -— Mesa Verde is not abandoned
- Super Hero(es) -- (you’d be super, too, if you had two willing clones)
That's a lot of info.
So stop wasting time re-reading it already and just start writing.
Send your word doc script (as an attachment) to me at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 24 Feb.
You'll be glad you did! well, I will be. I've got a panel of judges twiddling their thumbs . . .
©2011-2012 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved